Re: CPU utilization vs. IO wait, shared buffers?

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPU utilization vs. IO wait, shared buffers?
Date: 2008-10-30 21:48:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thursday 30 October 2008, "Oliver Johnson" <oliverjjohnson(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> Another thing to note, we have VACUUM ANALYZE running on an hourly
> interval and the switch from CPU to IO wait appears to always coincide
> with a vacuum.
>
> What might cause this shift?

The extra disk access caused by vacuum? That seems pretty obvious.

Use auto-vacuum. There's no reason to vacuum your entire database every hour
(doing so reads from disk the entirety of every table and index, and
generates some write activity).

--
Alan