Re: pre-MED

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pre-MED
Date: 2008-10-30 04:49:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:23:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net> writes:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:40 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> >> Also, PL/Perl shouldn't be the only language to have this
> >> capability. How might we add similar capabilities to PL/PythonU
>
> > I'll look at adding this to pl/pythonu.
>
> I would argue that it's already designed wrong if there's need for
> PL-specific implementation effort.

I'm not sure how else to do this. The current implementation returns
char *, which doesn't translate uniformly into the PLs. More
sophisticated implementations--a tree or forest structure including
ANDs and ORs, etc.--are even less uniform to translate into PLs, at
least as far as I can tell.

The way I'm looking at it, this could be added onto SPI at varying
degrees of sophistication, but there would still be PL-specific
bindings for it, each of which would involve a PL-specific
implementation effort.

What big things have I missed here?

Cheers,
David.