Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2008-10-29 18:53:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> So this is what I ended up doing; attached.

Oh, another thing. The contents for the WAL log message here is very
simplistic; just store all the t_infomask and t_infomask2 relevant bits,
for all the tuples in the table. A possible optimization to reduce the
WAL traffic is to add another infomask bit which indicates whether a
hint bit has been set since the last time we visited the page. I'm
unsure if this is worth the pain. (Another possibility, even more
painful, is to choose at runtime between the two formats, depending on
the number of tuples that need hint bits logged.)