Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'
Date: 2008-10-28 15:48:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 08:57:30AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk> writes:
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:42:47AM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> >> An easy trick I have found to set postgres password: $ sudo passwd
> >> postgres, and now you can type a new password. So now you can switch
> >> user with: $ su postgres, and then connect to the DB with psql.
>
> > Won't that allow logins to the postgres account then?
>
> True, but that might be safer overall than giving out sudo privileges.

As it was presented as an "easy trick" I wasn't sure if the OP had
realized he'd opened another account up on his system. Thomas's other
reply suggests he's aware of the issue, but I was at least partially
responding for other readers to make them aware that running the command
will have other side effects.

> If the sysadmin and the DBA are the same person it hardly matters,
> but if you want the DBA to not have root, then giving him a password for
> the postgres account is the best way. So it all depends on your
> local situation ...

Indeed it does!

Sam