Re: psql screen size

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: wstrzalka <wstrzalka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql screen size
Date: 2008-10-27 12:16:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 01:59:42AM -0700, wstrzalka wrote:
> I'm using psql mainly in putty window.

it's pretty much always just worked with me. I'm using a very old
version of putty, but it all hangs together as well as anything else
does

> When changing the window size (and those chars per row) psql output
> becomes mess, the only rescue is to exit and run the psql again. It
> looks like it's initializing the output params at startup and don't
> refresh it in runtime.

Resizing the window when entering SQL works OK for me, but resizing when
inside my pager (normally the "less" utility, when you get more results
than will fit on the screen) causes psql to be confused when I return to
it.

Exactly the same bug occurred in various shells a while ago and was
fixed (I believe) by getting them to inquire about the screen dimensions
far more than they strictly ought to be doing. I'd also guess that psql
doesn't know or care about the screen size as it's all handled by the
"readline" library.

Sam