Re: Bitmap Indexes: request for feedback

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gianni Ciolli <gianni(dot)ciolli(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bitmap Indexes: request for feedback
Date: 2008-10-21 21:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> me and Gabriele Bartolini have been working on Bitmap Indexes (BMI) in
> the last weeks, with advice and guidance from Simon Riggs. We feel
> that we are about to approach the point where it is appropriate to ask
> for feedback from this list.

The other major issue with the Bitmap index patch as it stood in 2007 was
that performance just wasn't that much faster than a btree, except for
specific corner cases.  Otherwise, someone else would have been interested
enough to pick it up and finish it.

So performance testing of the patch is absolutely essential.

Josh Berkus
San Francisco