Re: Bitmap Indexes: request for feedback

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gianni Ciolli <gianni(dot)ciolli(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bitmap Indexes: request for feedback
Date: 2008-10-21 21:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gianni,

> me and Gabriele Bartolini have been working on Bitmap Indexes (BMI) in
> the last weeks, with advice and guidance from Simon Riggs. We feel
> that we are about to approach the point where it is appropriate to ask
> for feedback from this list.

The other major issue with the Bitmap index patch as it stood in 2007 was
that performance just wasn't that much faster than a btree, except for
specific corner cases.  Otherwise, someone else would have been interested
enough to pick it up and finish it.

So performance testing of the patch is absolutely essential.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL