Re: SSL cleanups/hostname verification

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSL cleanups/hostname verification
Date: 2008-10-21 13:35:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 08:47:35AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Um, IIRC what it's checking there is the server's key signature, which
> has nada to do with certificates.

That depends on whether you used an X.509 certificate to authenticate
the original signature. Just about nobody does, but AIUI, there's a
way to do so. Anyway, in the strict sense you're right, but the
comparison is wrong anyway. SSH doesn't pretend to be authenticating
over SSL. It's authenticating using the SSH protocol, which has its
own RFCs describing it.

If I understand the description of the current behaviour, I have to
agree with those who say the current behaviour is almost worse than
nothing. In the presence of DNS forgery (and I'll bet a pretty good
lunch most people aren't using DNSSEC), it's not hard to send a client
to the wrong server. If the ssl-using client will blithely proceed if
it can't authenticate the server, it's pretty hard to see in what
sense this is a conforming use of anything I know as SSL. SSL is
supposed to provide both encryption and authentication (the
self-signed certificate nonsense is actually breakage that everyone in
the protocol community wails about whenever given the opportunity,
because of the results in user behaviour. It was a compromise that
people made back in the period when Verisign had a lock on the market
and would charge you an arm and a leg for a cert).

[Actually, to be pedantic, it might be better to call the
authentication method TLS, so as not to conflate it with the
Netscape-defined SSL. But this is maybe straying into a different
topic.]

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com