Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-17 16:12:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

At 09:42 PM 10/14/2008, you wrote:
>Mikkel Høgh wrote:
>>On 14/10/2008, at 11.40, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>
>>That might be true, if the only demographic you
>>are looking for are professional DBAs, but if
>>you're looking to attract more developers, not
>>having sensible defaults is not really a good thing.
>>While I'll probably take the time to learn more
>>about how to tune PostgreSQL, the common
>>Drupal-developer developer will probably just
>>say "Ah, this is slow, I'll just go back to MySQL…".
>
>Developers should be familiar with the platforms
>they develop for. If they are not and they are
>not willing to learn them they shouldn't use it.

If they did that there'll be a lot fewer programs out there.

There have been lots of popular stuff written by incompetent/ignorant people.

If there were such a rule, it'll just be one more
important thing they weren't aware of (or choose to ignore).

Anyway, I personally think that having "small,
medium, large" configs would be useful, at least as examples.

On a related note: is it possible to have a
config where you can be certain that postgresql
will not use more than X MB of memory (and still work OK)?

Link.