Re: Timestamp with libpq

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jakob Lechner <jakob(dot)lechner(at)applstrudl(dot)com>
Cc: Wilhansen Li <willi(dot)t1(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp with libpq
Date: 2008-10-13 10:46:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:57:23AM +0200, Jakob Lechner wrote:
> I just wonder why my conversion routine for the binary timestamps
> returned from a postgres server running on RHEL works while it's not for
> a SLES server. Apparently the same SQL statement executed by exactly the
> same libpq API calls produces different results for the two postgres
> servers, one running on RHEL and another on SLES. Both postgres servers
> basically have the same version (8.1.4). The program that executes the
> SQL statement runs on my workstation and either connects to my RHEL
> server or to my SLES machine.

Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that your server sends a double
in a binary query. This depens on whether integer-datatypes are configure or
not. Or in other words, it might be a long long instead of a double.

Is there any reason to use a binary transfer? I would not recommend this in a
general setup. If you just want to avoid some ascii translation hassle, how
about using ecpg instead of libpq? It will take care of everything you need.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
ICQ: 179140304, AIM/Yahoo: michaelmeskes, Jabber: meskes(at)jabber(dot)org