Re: postgres launch os applications

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres launch os applications
Date: 2008-10-07 17:39:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ertel, Steve <Steve(dot)Ertel(at)infimatic(dot)com> schrieb:

> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updated. I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch the OS
> executable. I have a background in sql server. In it we would use something
> like xsp_execute(). I am looking for the equivalent function call in Postgres.

Write a trigger-function using an untrusted language like pl/perlU. You
can call arbitray commands within an untrusted language. With the
regular trusted languages such plpgsql or so you can't call external
programs.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°