Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>,Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>,Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2008-10-03 14:32:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> [081002 19:18]:

> Well, it would be useful if whenever we magically decided it was time
> to write out a page that had only hint-bit updates we generated WAL,
> right? Even if it was just a no-op WAL record to ensure we had the
> page image in the WAL.

Well, I'm by no means an expert in the code, but from my looking around
bufmgr and transam yesterady, it really looks like it would be a
modularity nightmare...

But I think that would have the same "total IO" affect as nop WAL record
being generated at the the page being dirtied, which would seem to fit
the code a bit better...

a.

aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,