Re: BUG #4410: Indexes not seen right away

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4410: Indexes not seen right away
Date: 2008-10-02 21:07:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > Does it have pg_index.indcheckxmin = true? If so, see README.HOT.
>
> Yes, that was probably it. Is this worth noting in the documentation somewhere
> (other than the technical bowels of HOT)? Perhaps in the CREATE INDEX
> docs?

I have done some research on this. Postgres 8.3 didn't allow
in-progress transactions to see the CREATE INDEX if the index had broken
HOT chains. However, the 8.4 code has more sophisticated tracking of
snapshots so this should be less of a problem. The only way I could get
the CREATE INDEX to be invisible in 8.4 was to use a serialized
isolation level.

I have attached the scripts I used for testing. I don't think it is
worth documenting this until we have 8.4 released and people start using
it. I believe a mention in the manual would require quite complex
wording. I have also updated README.HOT, patch attached.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 5.5 KB