Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2008-10-02 15:57:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 30 September 2008 17:17:10 Decibel! wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Doesn't some filesystems include a per-block CRC, which would
> > achieve the same thing? ZFS?
>
> Sure, some do. We're on linux and can't run ZFS. And I'll argue that
> no linux FS is anywhere near as tested as ext3 is, which means that
> going to some other FS that offers you CRC means you're now exposing
> yourself to the possibility of issues with the FS itself. Not to
> mention that changing filesystems on a large production system is
> very painful.

Actually we had someone on irc yesterday explaining how they were able to run
zfs on debian linux, so that option might be closer than you think.

On a side note, I believe there are a couple of companies that do postgresql
consulting that have pretty good experience running it atop solaris... just
in case you guys ever do want to do a migration or something ;-)

--
Robert Treat