Re: How to save a image file in a postgres data field.

From: richard terry <rterry(at)gnumed(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to save a image file in a postgres data field.
Date: 2008-08-31 02:43:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:01:16 am Obe, Regina wrote:

I've done a bit of research/tried some got and got part of the way.

I can convert a picture to a string to save but when I try and insert it into
the database I get the following:

Query failed:ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":0x89 HINT: This
error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding
expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding"

One of the users from the Sydney user group Sydpug answered and helped me in
part but mentioned this:
Hear your pain, this was all done on debian linux. binmode was a gotcha

I've done it with a bytea column like this

use DBI ;
use DBD::Pg qw(:pg_types); #Required for us to use the *bytea* column

I can't interpet the last line which (admittedly in another language) he says
is needed to use the bytea type.

Any further help appreciated.

Richard