Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-29 10:55:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:29:14 -0400
> Hmm ... the patch works for data that contains no backslashes,
> asterisks, backquotes, vertical bars, nor underscores.  Nor perhaps
> other special characters that I might've missed in one cursory scan of
> the ReST spec.  I'm not sure which side of this should be considered a
> "corner case"; but I am quite certain that anyone trying to pass data
> into a ReST-reading application will soon be dissatisfied with this
> patch.

I think that your scan may have been a bit too cursory.  Those
characters, while significant in ReST, only matter when used in very
specific ways.  The following works just fine in my ReST application.

+----+-------+
| id | name  |
+====+=======+
|  8 | T'est |
+----+-------+
|  9 | T*est |
| 10 | T\est |
| 11 | T`est |
| 12 | T_est |

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>         |  Democracy is three wolves