Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ERROR: relation . . . does not exist
Date: 2008-08-28 23:50:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 28 August 2008 3:14:01 pm Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> wrote:
> > You have to create the table first before you can COPY into it.
>
> ~
> Well, based on how the statement reads I made the wrong assumption of
> thinking that PG would be smart enough to make ends-meat with the
> data that it gets once you indicate:
> ~
> 1) the header names (to be mapped to column names)
> ~
> 2) the data from which PG could easily figure out the types for each
> column, since it is CSV data

Define easily. A CSV column has fields with 1's and 0's should that be an
integer field or a boolean field? A CSV column has a series of text entries
none of which are greater then 25 characters long. Does that mean a datatype
of varchar(25) or is it just an artifact of the data to date? You have a CSV
column with text strings of format 'YYYY/MM/DD' . Do you want them stored as
strings or dates? I could go on, but the point is that table data types
require some thought on the part of the DBA.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net