Re: WAL file questions - how to relocate on Windows, how to replay after total loss, etc

From: "John T(dot) Dow" <john(at)johntdow(dot)com>
To: "Douglas McNaught" <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file questions - how to relocate on Windows, how to replay after total loss, etc
Date: 2008-08-28 16:35:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Douglas

You can't blame me for being confused. Here's from section 23.3 of the 8.2 manual.

"At all times, PostgreSQL maintains a write ahead log (WAL) in the pg_xlog/ subdirectory of the cluster’s
data directory. The log describes every change made to the database’s data files. This log exists primarily
for crash-safety purposes: if the system crashes, the database can be restored to consistency by “replaying”
the log entries made since the last checkpoint. However, the existence of the log makes it possible to use
a third strategy for backing up databases: we can combine a file-system-level backup with backup of the
WAL files."

That says that the database can be restored using the WAL files, and then it says that their existence makes another strategy for backing updatabases possoble. To me, that means that WAL files are useful even if not doing a physical backup of the actual database files.

John