Re: Vaccuum best practice: cronjob or autovaccuum?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vaccuum best practice: cronjob or autovaccuum?
Date: 2008-08-28 16:27:43
Lists: pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 05:15:06PM +0100, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:

> When autovacuum was introduced, I kept the weekly VACUUM FULL because it
> efectively brings disk ocupatio down, dispite it grows back after a few
> hours. It's just re-assuring to me to make sure that at least one of the
> vacuums it's working when I see the weekly drop of disk ocupation.

It actually bloats your index and hurts you.  Don't do that.  If the
number of tuples in your various tables is staying about the same,
your size on disk should stabilise.  That's the thing you want to see.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/