Re: Proposal to sync SET ROLE and pg_stat_activity

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Grant Finnemore <grant(at)guruhut(dot)com>
Cc: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to sync SET ROLE and pg_stat_activity
Date: 2008-08-28 15:53:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Grant Finnemore wrote:

> Well, pg_stat_activity isn't really the problem here, because as you
> point out, it's just a view, and I could certainly redefine the view.
> The limiting factor is that the backend doesn't push the role name
> changes to the stats subsystem for either SET ROLE or SET SESSION
> AUTH.

Keep in mind that stats are updated only once every 500 ms, and messages
have a nontrivial overhead. With your proposed changes, there would be
a significant performance overhead to running security definer
functions.

A possible solution to this would be to publish current_user in shared
memory, so that remote processes could read it from there (similar to
how current_query is published).