Re: Do I have a corrupted database?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: William Garrison <postgres(at)mobydisk(dot)com>
Cc: postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do I have a corrupted database?
Date: 2008-08-27 22:04:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 01:45:43PM -0400, William Garrison wrote:
> Since I made my post, we found that we can't do a pg_dump. :( Every
> time this error appears in the logs, postgres forcably closes any
> connections (including any running instances of pgadmin or pg_dump) when
> it runs this little recovery process. We have backups from some days
> ago plus transaction logs. We also have a snapshot of the file system,
> and I'm hoping to find a way to attach that onto another system. I've
> had trouble with that in the past.

You're going to have to be more specific. What do you mean by "this
error"? It is possible to startup postgresql such that it will not use
any system indexes.

> Are there any kind of repair tools for a postgres database? Any sort of
> routine where I can take it offline and run like pg_fsck --all and it
> will come back with a report or a repair procedure?

There is no tools that do fixing, only the DB server itself. If you
can't get it to work within postgresql, then pgfsck can attempt to do a
raw data dump. It doesn't guarentee the integrity of the data but it
may be able to get your data out.

Have a nice day,