Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug introduced in 8.0
Date: 2008-08-26 13:10:24
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:21:53AM -0300, Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez wrote:

> "Fix bug introduced in 8.0 that could allow ReadBuffer to return an
> already-used page as new, potentially causing loss of
> recently-committed data (Tom)"
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/release-8-0-6.html
>
> I know an upgrade is a best solution but it's impossible now for me (I
> do not have authorization), my answer is, what exactly means this bug?
> is serious?

Yes, it's serious.  It means that you can lose data that has been
committed.

Get authorization.  You can install the latest version of the 8.0.x
software directly in place, with no dump or restore.  It's a drop-in
replacement.

The minor releases are security and stability releases.  If your
management thinks that they are optional to install, then get that in
writing, because they are instructing you to run known-dangerous
software.  They are being negligent.  Patching your software for known
defects is not "upgrading", it's "doing your job."

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/