Re: Dump/restore with bad data and large objects

From: "John T(dot) Dow" <john(at)johntdow(dot)com>
To: "Joshua Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dump/restore with bad data and large objects
Date: 2008-08-25 21:05:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua

Thank you very much for answering these various questions.

I guess the compressed format is the best overall solution, except for roles. I find myself having a table with other information about users (application specific user type, etc) so perhaps the thing to do is record enough information there to reconstruct the roles should that become necessary.

Can pg_dump dump roles to plain text? How does pg_dumpall do it, doesn't it do everything via pg_dump?

John