Re: Latin2 and UTF-8 encoding.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "kpeter(at)oszk(dot)hu" <kpeter(at)oszk(dot)hu>
Subject: Re: Latin2 and UTF-8 encoding.
Date: 2008-08-25 14:23:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Monday 25 August 2008 13:29:14 kpeter(at)oszk(dot)hu wrote:
> ERROR:  encoding LATIN2 does not match server's locale en_AU.UTF-8
> DETAIL:  The server's LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding UTF8.

In 8.3, it no longer works to create databases of different or incompatible
encodings.  You need to pick one encoding for all databases and you need to
pick a locale setting to matches that.

If you work for a Hungarian library, you probably don't want a locale setting
en_AU... either.  Instead, you probably want hu_HU.utf8.

> The problem is that we need both UTF-8, LATIN1 and LATIN2 characters.

UTF-8 can store all characters that LATIN1 and LATIN2 can encode.  You just
need to configure your client encoding correctly and the data sent by the
client will automatically be converted to UTF-8 and back.