Re: initdb change

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb change
Date: 2008-08-25 16:29:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:04:01 -0700
David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:

> > > When -X is set to "existing", it would check whether pg_xlog is a
> > > directory and the only thing in $PGDATA. One way to do that is to
> > > add a new return code to check_data_dir() and a new branch of the
> > > case statement after it's called.
> >
> > Why is this useful? It seems like just extra complication.

At no time should I ask I DBA to do this:

service postgresql stop
mv /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog /xlogs/pg_xlog
ln -sf /xlogs/pg_xlog /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
service postgresql start

We either need to provide a way to initialize it at initdb, allow
xlogs to be in table space or add a GUC for the location.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake