Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-22 03:18:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:19:58 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Tom Lane escribió:
> > There's still the question of whether this covers any needs that aren't
> > met just as well by XML or CSV output formats.
>
> I think it does -- I used to use the Latex output format for easy cut'n
> pasting. ReST sounds like it serves the same purpose. If I had had to
> use conversion to XML, it would have been rather painful.

ReST is nice because it's almost plain text. In fact, a ReST document
source can easily be read raw.

> What I wonder is whether this should be a border setting or a format
> setting.

I don't see it as a format for two reasons. First, it isn't really a
different format. It's just the same format as "border 2" with a few
extra lines. Second, and following from the first, it's such a logical
progression from "border 0" to the proposed "border 3" that that syntax
makes more sense. In fact, the guide is inches away from describing
this behaviour already.

Besides, making it a border option adds 12 lines to the code, 5 of
which are blank. I wouldn't want to think about the changes if it was
a different setting.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves