Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)
Date: 2008-08-22 01:55:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thursday 21 August 2008 18:28:55 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We never came up with any idea of how pg_dump could dump ALTER DATABASE
> ... SET commands, so I have added a mention in the documentation, and
> backpatched to 8.3.X; attached.

ok, I have no recollection of this conversation :-)

but...

> ! The dump file also does not
> ! contain any <command>ALTER DATABASE ... SET</> commands;
> ! these settings are dumped by <xref linkend="app-pg-dumpall">,
> ! along with database users and other installation-wide settings.
> </para>

Is misleading (or maybe just wrong) because those settings are not dumped with
the other installation wide settings. Meaning that pg_dumpall -g has no
bearing on the alter database commands being set, you actually have to
dumpall the entire data set to get those lines.

--
Robert Treat