Re: make dist does not work in VPATH

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: make dist does not work in VPATH
Date: 2008-08-20 15:55:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> It seems we're neglecting to copy GNUmakefile into the temporary
> distdir:

> make -C postgresql-8.3.3 distprep
> make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire «
> /home/alvherre/Code/CVS/pgsql/build/83_rel/postgresql-8.3.3 » make[1]: ***
> Pas de règle pour fabriquer la cible « distprep ». Arrêt. make[1]: quittant
> le répertoire « /home/alvherre/Code/CVS/pgsql/build/83_rel/postgresql-8.3.3
> » make: *** [distdir] Erreur 2

Hmm.  When you do an in-tree build, the distdir copy contains a configured
source tree.  When you do an out-of-tree build, the distdir copy only the
bare source tree, because the configure output files are in the build tree,
which is not copied.

Fix option 1 would be to copy the build tree as well, if it is different from
the source tree.  Since the build tree contains a bunch of symlinks back to
the source tree, this would probably need some careful file handling to not
overwrite the real files with symlinks or something like that.

Fix option 2 is to rerun configure before make distprep.