Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date: 2008-08-19 16:34:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le mardi 19 août 2008, Tom Lane a écrit :
> [ shrug... ] You have not found a bug in plan invalidation. You have
> found omitted functionality --- functionality that was *intentionally*
> omitted from the 8.3 version.

Thanks a lot for this clarification, now I understand you viewpoint.

So, the 8.3 "fix" would be about documenting this intentionnal omit in the
great manual, maybe in a Limits section of the sql-createfunction page?

Another thing I do not understand well is how people are expected to work in
8.3 with a function based API, without hitting Skype problems. I'm having a
project here where the project manager wants a database function API to keep
data logic at serverside, should I tell him to reconsider this while 8.4 is
not ready?
We would then have to go live with an 8.3 based solution containing middleware
code, then port it again to SQL functions when 8.4 is out & stable. Not
appealing, but I sure understand the no new feature in stable code base
argument here.

Regards,
--
dim