Re: RFC: Grants

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFC: Grants
Date: 2008-08-05 13:46:31
Lists: pgus-general
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 05:32:03PM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:06:57 -0700
> Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> > If it's our goal to get a feature written, for example, restricting
> > grantees to membership seems like a bad idea.
>
> Well that isn't necessarily the goal. For example I (speaking
> personally) would rather have a student from Kansas U develop a feature
> for pg_standby than Simon. Now Simon is clearly more qualified and a better
> candidate from the perspective of getting the feature done.
>
> However he is not the best candidate from a getting a new person
> involved in PostgreSQL, expanding United States based contributions to
> the code base, and educating a new person on the innards of pg_standby.
> All of which, in my opinion is more important.

So if the new person needed/wanted help from Simon, and Simon decided he
had to charge for that help, would it be acceptable to do that? Can
"consultation expenses" be part of the grant proposal?

(I'm assuming that Simon couldn't just join since he doesn't live in the
US...)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel(at)decibel(dot)org