Re: RFC: Grants

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFC: Grants
Date: 2008-08-05 00:32:03
Lists: pgus-general
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:06:57 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Josh,
> >   * Grants will available to members of PgUS of Professional or
> > Student status. (This is already determined per our membership
> > benefits)
> Hmmm.  What if the best person to complete a project isn't a member?

Currently, you have to be a member to be eligible for a grant. That is
one thing that is distinctly different than say SPI.

> If it's our goal to get a feature written, for example, restricting
> grantees to membership seems like a bad idea.

Well that isn't necessarily the goal. For example I (speaking
personally) would rather have a student from Kansas U develop a feature
for pg_standby than Simon. Now Simon is clearly more qualified and a better
candidate from the perspective of getting the feature done.

However he is not the best candidate from a getting a new person
involved in PostgreSQL, expanding United States based contributions to
the code base, and educating a new person on the innards of pg_standby.
All of which, in my opinion is more important.

> Also, have you talked to the attorney about having membership be a
> prerequisite for grants?  There may be 501(c)3 issues with that.

That is a good point, bouncing to Greg. I will report back.

> Application template looks fine.

Joshua D. Drake

The PostgreSQL Company since 1997:
PostgreSQL Community Conference: