Re: Should creating a new base type require superuser status?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should creating a new base type require superuser status?
Date: 2008-07-30 22:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pljava-dev

Tom Lane wrote:

> If you're not clear on why CREATE TYPE in the hands of a bad guy is
> dangerous, here are a couple of reasons:
>
> * By specifying type representation details (len/byval/align) that are
> different from what the type's functions expect, you could trivially
> crash the backend, and less trivially use a pass-by-reference I/O
> function to read out the contents of backend memory.

I think being able to return cstring from a user defined function is
quite dangerous already. I doubt we would ever give that capability to
non-superusers.

I do agree that creating base types should require a superuser though.
It too seems dangerous just on principle, even if today there's no
actual hole (that we already know of).