Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date: 2008-07-29 07:53:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Am Monday, 28. July 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> But to define such a domain, you'd have to commit to a case-insensitive
> version of a specific collation, no?  citext currently means "case
> insensitive version of whatever the database's default collation is".

So in the future, someone using citext with lc_collate = en_US attempting to
upgrade would then define

    CREATE DOMAIN citext AS text COLLATION "en_US(at)ci"

And yes, you would potentially have different definitions of this citext
domain in different database clusters, depending on what configuration you
are upgrading from, but I don't see that as a problem.  It is the natural
thing to do.