Re: Whence cometh the data in src/test/regress/data/streets.data ?

From: Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)sun(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Whence cometh the data in src/test/regress/data/streets.data ?
Date: 2008-07-28 10:00:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 25/07 12.56, Dann Corbit wrote:

> Probably something from here:
> http://www.freegis.org/database/?cat=1

The data predates this project by over 6 years. However, the data
looks quite similar to some of the data from the U.S. Census Bureau
for Alameda County, CA:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tigerua/ua_tgr2k.html

The coordinates are not identical though, but they may have been
changed after PostgreSQL got them. And it looks like "our" data
somehow has the first decimal in the latitude cut off, so it has
37.841 instead of 37.6841 etc.

Anyway, even though such mapping data is definitely copyrightable,
since it's equivalent to the the above mentioned data which is in the
public domain (as it's a work of the US Goverment), I will conclude
that it's safe to use. :-)

- Bjorn