Re: Very Urgent : Db processes are increasing

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very Urgent : Db processes are increasing
Date: 2008-07-17 13:38:49
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:46:58PM +0530, Suresh Gupta VG wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am using pgsql 7.4.2 on solaris-9.

Go and upgrade that right away.  It has several very nasty bugs in
it.  7.4.21 is the latest.

> pg_ctl start -D /db1/postgresql/data -o "-i"
>
> If I exclude "-I" option, my application couldn't connect the DB server
> at all.

Well, you could set that in the configuration file, but obviously,
you're using the network somehow.

> Here are my queries.
> 1) Why DB processes are increasing drastically, it reaches up to 104
> connection( configured to 100 max connections) through there is no
> application trying to connect/access the DB.

Something is connecting.  You can change the logging settings to find
out who is connecting and from where.  Alternatively, try netstat to
look at who is connecting to port 5432.

> 2) Is "-I" option is important to get the access from other server to DB
> server ??

Well, it's spelled "-i", but yes.  You have to listen on a TCP/IP
socket, or else nobody can connect from another server.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/