Re: Message-ID should surely not be shown as a mailto: URL

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Message-ID should surely not be shown as a mailto: URL
Date: 2008-07-16 20:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:30:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > > I don't pretend to know what is the approved way to deal with these
> > > issues, but *this* can't be best practice.
> >
> > Obviously, someone is looking for something that _looks_ like a mail
> > address, attempting to munge it, and on the way through, changing it
> > to a mailto: link.  I think some parsing of the RFC2821/2822 headers
> > is needed first, so that one doesn't do this for things like the
> > message id.
>
> Mhonarc does this mangling.  I tried to stop it but couldn't find the
> way.  I didn't investigate it too closely though, so most likely there
> is a way to make it work.  If anyone wants to spend some time on it,
> feel free to send patches.  Our resource files are here:
>
> https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-current
> https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-common
> https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/resource-utf8
>
> The actual mhonarc call is in this script:
> https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/archives/bin/mk-mhonarc
>
> The mhonarc documentation:
> http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/mhonarc.html

I looked at this for a while and am uncertain how to affect the header
display.  When I was dealing with this, I considered the message-id to
be an identifier, rather than something I wanted displayed in the email
header block, so I put it above the header:

	http://momjian.us/mhonarc/patches_hold/msg00021.html

Using these mhonarc.rc lines:

	<MSGHEAD>
	</MSGHEAD>

You could even modify this to add a link to show the message by
message-id URL.