Re: Changing encoding

From: Ivo Rossacher <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing encoding
Date: 2008-07-15 17:26:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
For the SQL_ASCII tables it depends what was actually written to the tables.
SQL_ASCII means that the server does not do any conversation and that the
client is responsible for the used encoding. So if there is data in the table
with different encodings (comming from different clients with different
encodings) you need to fix this by hand (depending on the data size an
editor, iconv, recode or similar might help you with this).
The Latin1 tables might be fixed by iconv or be autodetected by the server.

You can find details about the subject in the chapter 21.2 Character Set
Support of the server documentation.

Best regards
Ivo