Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-07-15 15:03:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Agreed. I realize why we are not zeroing those bytes (for performance),
> > but can't we have the archiver zero those bytes before calling the
> > 'archive_command'?
>
> The archiver doesn't know any more about where the end-of-data is than
> the archive_command does. Moreover, the archiver doesn't know whether
> the archive_command cares. I think the separate module is a fine
> solution.
>
> It should also be pointed out that the whole thing becomes uninteresting
> if we get real-time log shipping implemented. So I see absolutely no
> point in spending time integrating pg_clearxlogtail now.

People doing PITR are still going to be saving these files, and for a
long time, so I think this is still something we should try to address.

Added to TODO:

o Reduce PITR WAL file size by removing full page writes and
by removing trailing bytes to improve compression

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com