Protocol 3, Execute, maxrows to return, impact?

From: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Protocol 3, Execute, maxrows to return, impact?
Date: 2008-07-09 18:50:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was wondering, if there is any real advantage to actually specify say
64 for the maxrows parameter to the Execute message in the PostgreSQL
network protocol?

I.e.:
- Is it easier on the server, because it somehow uses less total memory when
batching the Executes with 64 rows at a time?
- Is it better for latency when expecting notices/notifies in between?
- Is it simply slowing down the protocol because every 64 rows I
introduce a round-trip delay for the next PortalSuspended/Execute combo?

Please note that we're only running the query once, I'm just batching
the results with the Execute maxrows parameter.
--
Sincerely,
Stephen R. van den Berg.

Limited offer: Pacemakers, with a unique life-time warranty