Re: syslog performance when logging big statements

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com, achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: syslog performance when logging big statements
Date: 2008-07-09 01:31:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Jeff <threshar(at)threshar(dot)is-a-geek(dot)com> writes:
> > On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> >> File sizes of about 3M result in actual logging output of ~ 10Mb.
> >> In this case, the INSERT *needs* 20 minutes to return. This is
> >> because the logging through syslog seems to severely slow the system.
> >> If instead, i use stderr, even with logging_collector=on, the same
> >> statement needs 15 seconds to return.
>
> > In syslog.conf is the destination for PG marked with a "-"? (ie -/var/
> > log/pg.log) which tells syslog to not sync after each line logged.
> > That could explain a large chunk of the difference in time.
>
> I experimented with this a bit here. There definitely is an O(N^2)
> penalty from the repeated strchr() calls, but it doesn't really start
> to hurt till 1MB or so statement length. Even with that patched,
> syslog logging pretty much sucks performance-wise. Here are the numbers
> I got on a Fedora 8 workstation, testing the time to log a statement of
> the form SELECT length('123456...lots of data, no newlines...7890');
>
> statement length 1MB 10MB
>
> CVS HEAD 2523ms 215588ms
> + patch to fix repeated strchr 529ms 36734ms
> after turning off syslogd's fsync 569ms 5881ms
> PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT 1024, fsync on 216ms 2532ms
> PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT 1024, no fsync 242ms 2692ms
> For comparison purposes:
> logging statements to stderr 155ms 2042ms
> execute statement without logging 42ms 520ms
>
> This machine is running a cheap IDE drive that caches writes, so
> the lack of difference between fsync off and fsync on is not too
> surprising --- on a machine with server-grade drives there'd be
> a lot more difference. (The fact that there is a difference in
> the 10MB case probably reflects filling the drive's write cache.)
>
> On my old HPUX machine, where fsync really works (and the syslogd
> doesn't seem to allow turning it off), the 1MB case takes
> 195957ms with the strchr patch, 22922ms at PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT=1024.
>
> So there's a fairly clear case to be made for fixing the repeated
> strchr, but I also think that there's a case for jacking up
> PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT. As far as I can tell the current value of 128
> was chosen *very* conservatively without thought for performance:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-05/msg01242.php
>
> At the time we were looking at evidence that the then-current
> Linux syslogd got tummyache with messages over about 1KB:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-05/msg00880.php
>
> Some experimentation with the machines I have handy now says that
>
> Fedora 8: truncates messages at 2KB (including syslog's header)
> HPUX 10.20 (ancient): ditto
> Mac OS X 10.5.3: drops messages if longer than about 1900 bytes
>
> So it appears to me that setting PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT = 1024 would be
> perfectly safe on current systems (and probably old ones too),
> and would give at least a factor of two speedup for logging long
> strings --- more like a factor of 8 if syslogd is fsync'ing.

> [...]

I'm a little bit worried about cranking up PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT in the back
branches. Cranking it up will definitely change syslog messages text
style and might confuse syslog handling scripts(I have no evince that
such scripts exist though). So I suggest to change PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT
only in CVS HEAD.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan