Re: Removing raw data files

From: Tino Schwarze <postgresql(at)tisc(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removing raw data files
Date: 2008-07-07 18:33:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 02:19:19PM -0400, Carol Walter wrote:

> I asked this question a while ago and I didn't get an answer.
> Perhaps I asked the question in a manner that wasn't clear. I
> upgraded from 8.1.3 to 8.2.3. I left the 8.1.3 database intact in
> case I had to revert to it. The 8.2.3 database is running just fine
> and I'd like to recover the space that the 8.1.3 raw data directories
> are consuming. Can I just remove the raw data files with rm -rf on
> the data directory for the 8.1.3 version? This may sound like a
> silly question but the database I worked with prior to postgres was
> MS SQL Server. On that platform, you never know when something from
> the last version is imbedded in the new version.

You can safely remove everything from the previous installation - I'm
supposing, your 8.2.x data directory is totally separate?

There is no hidden connection between both data directories. You dumped
everything into a file, so everything was in that file, then you
restored to 8.2.x, so everything is in 8.2.x now.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de