Re: pg_dump lock timeout

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_dump lock timeout
Date: 2008-07-03 01:33:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Dave,

Just a few comments regarding your pg_dump lock timeout patch (in
general I like the concept and agree with adding it):

- No validity checking that the argument passed in has anything to do
with a number. The backend will do this, but it strikes me as a bit
odd to not do any checking at argument processing time.

- You call the argument 'wait time' in the documentation, but 'DELAY'
in the command-line help. I'd recommend using one term and sticking
to it. You're already two lines in the command-line help, you can
spell it out as 'WAIT_TIME' or similar.

- getTables() uses different variables for each query, and I'm
inclined to agree with that approach to make following the code
easier. I'd encourage you to add a new variable for the
statement_timeout query rather than reusing the lockqry variable.
You could even offset this by removing the unused delqry variable.

Otherwise, looks good to me.

Thanks,

Stephen