Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning
Date: 2008-06-27 15:37:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
Nikhil G. Daddikar <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com> schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance
> of my postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information
> is vague and most often then not the answer is "it depends". Can anyone
> of you refer me a nice guide or tutorial on this?

Depends ;-)

You can log queries with an execution time more than N milliseconds via
log_min_duration. You can analyse the log with tools like pgfouine. And
you can analyse such queries with EXPLAIN ANALYSE.

But, i don't know your current problem, that's why my answer are a little
bit vague...

Andreas