Re: Visual history of PostgreSQL commits

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Visual history of PostgreSQL commits
Date: 2008-06-23 18:20:54
Lists: sfpug

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 02:41:04PM -0700, Meredith L. Patterson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just ran across http://www.vimeo.com/1081680, which is a
> visualisation of the entire 12-year history

Actually, it doesn't get to 8.3. I'm sure that's fixable, though :)

> of commits to the PostgreSQL CVS. (The guy who made it, Michael
> Ogawa, has also done visualisations for the history of Apache,
> Python, and Eclipse.)
>
> This might be fun to show at the next meeting; it's only five and a
> half minutes. Michael Ogawa lives up in Davis; perhaps we could
> invite him down to talk a little about how he made the video?

Sounds neat.

As Bruce Momjian has mentioned, the video doesn't accurately reflect
PostgreSQL's development process because it counts only the patch
committer as an author. I suspect that a minor revision to whatever
generated this which grepped the source for name-like strings would
fix this.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!