Re: Abnormal termination of PostgreSQL

From: Bill Thoen <bthoen(at)gisnet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Abnormal termination of PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-06-22 23:39:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 06:47:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm. Unless you have reason to think that your hardware is flaky,
> I dislike writing this off as "just a glitch". I think most likely
> you got bit by a bug somewhere. Still, if we can't reproduce it
> it's gonna be mighty hard to find.
>
> If you have the time and interest, it might be worth repeating the
> whole setup sequence starting from initdb. I'm speculating that
> installing PostGIS might have somehow left corruption in server memory
> that later manifested as the visible problem.

I'm going to have a lot riding on this project if it flies, so if you think
there might something lurking in the background, I'll wipe the database and
rebuild it and we'll see. The data load is all scripted anyway, so it
shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I'll let you know either way
tomorrow morning.