Re: Losing data

From: Garry Saddington <garry(at)schoolteachers(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Losing data
Date: 2008-06-19 18:06:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:15, Alan Hodgson wrote:
> On Thursday 19 June 2008, Garry Saddington <garry(at)schoolteachers(dot)co(dot)uk>
>
> wrote:
> > I read in a
> > Postgres manual that the hard disk may report to the OS that a write has
> > occured when it actually has not, is this possible?
>
> Yeah. But unless the power suddenly turned off that wouldn't cause data
> loss.
>
> > Oh, and the problem
> > has been intermittant. Another thing that happened this morning is that
> > Postgres had today as 18/06/2008 when in fact it was 19/06/2008 and the
> > OS reported this correctly. Restarting postgres sorted it, could this be
> > the problem?
>
> I strongly suspect the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
I'd love to agree, but I have seen this first hand as a user!

> In any case, however, if PostgreSQL reported the transaction complete and
> the machine didn't experience any hardware problems (like sudden power or
> disk failure), I would certainly not suspect PostgreSQL as the source of
> the problem.
What has happened to the reports then? I have used this combination of Zope
and Postgres for 5 years with no problems like this before and we have
written one complete set of reports on this server in the past 6 weeks. The
problem seems to have started last friday, when reports started to go
missing.
regards
Garry