Re: Losing data

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Losing data
Date: 2008-06-19 17:15:43
Lists: pgsql-general
On Thursday 19 June 2008, Garry Saddington <garry(at)schoolteachers(dot)co(dot)uk>
wrote:
> I read in a
> Postgres manual that the hard disk may report to the OS that a write has
> occured when it actually has not, is this possible?

Yeah. But unless the power suddenly turned off that wouldn't cause data
loss.

> Oh, and the problem
> has been intermittant. Another thing that happened this morning is that
> Postgres had today as 18/06/2008 when in fact it was 19/06/2008 and the
> OS reported this correctly. Restarting postgres sorted it, could this be
> the problem?

I strongly suspect the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.

In any case, however, if PostgreSQL reported the transaction complete and
the machine didn't experience any hardware problems (like sudden power or
disk failure), I would certainly not suspect PostgreSQL as the source of
the problem.

--
Alan