Re: Better error reporting for tsearch config file problems

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgtranslation-translators(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: Better error reporting for tsearch config file problems
Date: 2008-06-18 17:55:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Translators: refer to
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/27688.1213803578%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Tom Lane wrote:

> This should be a simple, easily tested patch, and I am tempted to
> propose back-patching it into 8.3, on the grounds that people need
> help now --- by the time 8.4 is out they'll already have debugged
> their config files. However, altering these existing error messages
> would create extra work for translators. Any votes pro or con on that?

Hmm, I have on my TODO doing this sort of stuff also for pg_hba.conf
parsing (and I think other places I don't recall right now). So +1 on
the proposal itself.

On backpatching the message changes, you are right that it creates extra
work for translators. In most cases it's just removing a part of the
string, so no sweat. I think the rest of the changes is creating the
new context string, which is going to be a substring of something that's
already translated, so msgmerge is probably going to pick it up as a
fuzzy. On the whole, not a lot of work.

So my vote goes for backpatching this change to 8.3.