Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Anonymous contributions WAS: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-13 17:25:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
All,

> > We can do anonymous-only contributions, but that is going to certainly
> > limit contributions.  I am not sure how a company contribution will be
> > explained to the accounting staff if it has to be anonymous.

As someone with three years professional fundraising and one of a few who
do the large-gift fundraising for PostgreSQL here in the US, donated
corporate funds come out of a company's marketing department.  As Mal
Warwick, head of the Bay Area's largest fundraising consulting firm says,
"Companies' charitible giving budgets are generally less than 1% of their
marketing budgets."  Companies want to stick their names on things.

So, requiring cash donations to be anonymous would basically cut our
corporate gifts (70% of all money we get) by 99%.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun