Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-12 19:22:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Greenplum sponsored my efforts to include Partitioning and Sort
> > > improvements into 8.1 and 8.2 respectively, and have contributed at
> > > least 3 other patches that the community has rejected (for whatever
> > > reason). IMHO, Bizgres was really their way of showing that useful work
> > > had been done, but I agree it is out of date now in many respects
> > > because and only because it hasn't been updated since 8.1.
> >
> > The bottom line is that Greenplum is fading farther and farther from
> > Postgres community involvement, as far as I can tell.  :-(
>
> I agree with that assessment. I don't think it's a desirable or
> unchangeable outcome, which is why I initially refused to attend the
> recent EnterpriseDB-sponsored developer meeting unless Greenplum people
> were also invited. I would like to see people encourage their
> participation.

I have been trying to get Luke Lonergan on the phone for a few months to
try to encourage him, but have still not talked to him --- not sure what
else I can do.

I saw Luke listed on the PGCon committee but didn't see any Greenplum
employees at the PGCon conference:

	http://www.pgcon.org/2008/committee.php