Re: GIN improvements

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN improvements
Date: 2008-06-08 22:46:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Teodor Sigaev wrote:

>> 2) fast insert into GIN
> New version:
> http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/fast_insert_gin-0.6.gz
>
> Changes:
> - added option FASTUPDATE=(1|t|true|on|enable|0|f|false|disable) for
> CREATE/ALTER command for GIN indexes
> - Since there wasn't any comments on first email, pg_am.aminsertcleanup optional
> method was introduced.

Hmm, this alters the semantics of amvacuumcleanup a bit. Currently in
btvacuumcleanup we invoke btvacuumscan only if btbulkdelete was not
called. This is noticed by observing whether the "stats" pointer is
NULL. However, the patch changes this a bit because
index_vacuum_cleanup is called with the results of index_insert_cleanup,
instead of a plain NULL.

Right now this is not a problem because there is no insert_cleanup
function for btree, but I wonder if we should clean it up.

FWIW there's a typo in catalogs.sgml (finction -> function)

What's the use of the FASTUPDATE parameter? Is there a case when a user
is interested in turning it off?